Make your own free website on Tripod.com

HOW to FIX problems.

 

-- For boot screens --

==================

A. Methods only for FAT32 (if you don’t know what is FAT32 then you have FAT32)


General method

1. Place into drive a: a bootable diskette (MS DOS) and boot the PC
2. Rename the file c:\boot.ini to something else (lets say “c:\bootno.ini”)
3. Reboot.
You will see a warning about missing boot.ini, but windows will use the default ntoskrnl.exe file located at system32 folder to boot the PC.


Note: The above method will not work if a user manually has change the original ntoskrnl.exe file at system32 folder to a non valid one. In that cases restore the original from the backup you have made.


LogonUIBootRandomizer users

1. Place into drive a: a bootable diskette (MS DOS) and boot the PC
2.1. Go to c:\, type 'BOOTBAK.BAT' and hit <enter>, or type 'c:\BOOTBAK.BAT' and hit <enter>

or

2.2 Delete boot.ini (usually c:\boot.ini) and restore it with the backup you have made

or
2.3 Go to system32 folder and delete the files kernel1.exe and/or kernel2.exe

Reboot

 

Note. LogonUIBootRandomizer makes automatically 3 copies of boot.ini (boot.bak and boot.lgb in the 'c:\' folder and a boot.ini in the programs' folder). So, you can restore the boot.ini from one of this 3 or from the one that you have made (You can make a backup of boot.ini where ever you want)

 

 

 

B. Methods for NTFS

 

General

The easiest and 100% safe way to use custom boot screens with NTFS is to add a new line to yours boot.ini file, which will be an other Operating System. It will be the same as the one you are using (WinXP), but it will have the default boot screen.

So, every time you restart the PC you will see a list with all the previous OSs and the new one.

In case of problems (the PC is not booting after you set a new boot screen), just reboot and select the “new” OS.

LogonUIBootRandomizer checks if you have NTFS and if yes, will prompt you to add this “new” OS (line) automatically.
So, a typical boot.ini is like this
----------------------------------------

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro" /fastdetect

----------------------------------------

 

After modification will look like this
----------------------------------------

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="(Default) Microsoft Windows XP Pro" /fastdetect
----------------------------------------

When booting will see this list
1.
Microsoft Windows XP Pro

2. (Default) Microsoft Windows XP Pro


The first one can be used to see custom boot screens.
The second can be used in case of problems.

A tip
Change the line “
timeout=30” to “timeout=3” (or “timeout=2”) and windows will wait 3 (or 2) seconds before automatically select the first choice from the above list.



If you don’t want the 2 choices when booting.

You must have install Recovery Console. Go to this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

After installing it, start the PC with Recovery Console (see the above article about how to do it) and you can use the steps at
A. Methods only for FAT32 with out using a bootable diskette.






-- For logon screens --

===================

1. When you are in the logon screen hit 2-3 times Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

The classic Win2000 dialog will pop up. Type there your name

and password and hit ok.

That will work in 90% of cases. For the other 10% do this

2. Boot the PC with a bootable diskette (MS DOS) if you have FAT32 or using the Recovery Console (if you have NTFS)

3. Go and rename the folder under which you have all your logon

screens. So, if you have a folder 'c:\Windows\Logon' and under

this you have all the logon screens, just go and rename that

folder to 'c:\Windows\NoLogon' (the command to do this is 'ren

c:\windows\logon c:\windows\nologon' and hit <Enter>)

Reboot

or

if you remember what logonui.exe file you have set (and it is the invalid one), delete it.